[Pythonmac-SIG] Python 3.2rc1 available: new 10.6 IDLE and tkinter options

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Jan 17 09:28:39 CET 2011

The first release candidate of Python 3.2 is now available.  As with
Python 2.7.1, two variants of Mac OS X installers are available for this
release:  the traditional 32-bit-only installer that works on all
machines supported by Mac OS X 10.3.9 through current 10.6.x ; and a new
64-bit/32-bit installer for OS X 10.6.x systems.

Besides the operating system versions supported, one big difference
between the two is in the versions of Tcl/Tk supported by IDLE and any
other programs that use tkinter, the Tk GUI toolkit included in the
Python standard library.  As in previous releases, the 32-bit-only
installer will use the Apple-supplied TK 8.4 available in OS X 10.4,
10.4, and 10.6, or, if installed, will use ActiveState Tk 8.4 (part of
ActiveTcl).

Up until recently including at 2.7.1 release, the only standard
available 64-bit-capable Aqua Tk version was the Cocoa Aqua 8.5 version
shipped by Apple in OS X 10.6; however that has proven to be problematic
when used with IDLE and other tkinter apps.  Recently, ActiveState has
made available a newer version of Cocoa Aqua Tk (as of this writing,
8.5.9) which seems to have solved  nearly all of the IDLE problems that
have been reported when using Apple Tk 8.5.  The Python 3.2rc1
64-/32-bit installer is the first python.org installer that supports
using the new ActiveState 8.5.  It will still fall back to the Apple
version but IDLE will issue a warning in that case.

Which variant should you use?  For 10.5 and earlier, you can only use
the 32-bit version.  If you are on 10.6 and want the simplest
out-of-the-box experience, you may want to stick with the traditional
32-bit-only installer.  Also, if you need to build applications (for
example, with py2app) that need to also run on older OS X systems, you
should use this version.   If you really do need 64-capabilities or if
you would like to try out the improved GUI capabilities in Tk 8.5 and
are willing and able to install the ActiveState Tcl/Tk 8.5, then you
should consider installing the new variant.  If you need to use IDLE or
tkinter but cannot install the ActiveState Tk 8.5, you should not use
the 64-/32-bit variant with 10.6 at this time (10.6.6).

In either case, your testing and feedback is needed!  Please try out
either or both versions and report any issues as soon as possible to the
python bug tracker, http://bugs.python.org, as the final release of 3.2
is less than a month away.

http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.2/

Also, along with the release is a new web page attempt at consolidating
information about supported Python, Mac OS X, and Tcl/Tk releases.  It
will be evolving up to and beyond the release.  Your comments (via the
bug tracker) on it are also encouraged.

http://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/

Thanks!

In article