[Pythonmac-SIG] Python development on OSX

Chris Weisiger cweisiger at msg.ucsf.edu
Thu Jan 20 18:10:35 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov>wrote:

> On 1/19/11 9:11 PM, Charles Hartman wrote:
>
>>            Do I need/want to use py2app to distribute my app(s)?
>>        Never happens.
>>

>  But this is where Bill J's use-case departs drastically from those of
>> many users, perhaps most, and certainly the majority of those who need
>> any help.
>>

> I'm not sure about majority -- who knows, really?

If I want to share my work with other users, and that work is not itself a
library, then as I see it I have two options: distribute either as a
collection of Python modules and any resource files, or as a packaged app.
The former is just about strictly worse than the latter from a usability
standpoint: the user has to install Python and any libraries I depend on
themselves, and then they have to invoke Python on my main module to use my
code (or else I have to use a shebang line that assumes they've installed
Python in a particular place), which in turn may well require using the
command line.

In short, if you are coding for other people who are not themselves
programmers and who use OSX, then you want py2app.

-Chris