[Pythonmac-SIG] Python virtual environments on OS X

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Jul 18 21:22:16 CEST 2011

In article <loom.20110718T185416-580 at post.gmane.org>,
 Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm working on pythonv[1], a branch which aims to bring virtual environment
> creation functionality into Python itself (work on a PEP is in progress).
>
> I've got a prototype working quite well on Linux and Windows [2], but not yet
> done any work on OS X.
[...]
> My question is, will this approach work on OS X? I can't readily build and
> test
> on an OS X system at the moment, so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. If a
> python executable file has sys.prefix/sys.exec_prefix pointing to a framework
> build's location, will that give the virtual environment everything it needs
> to e.g. interface to Cocoa etc? Or does any other setup need to be done?
> [1] https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/pythonv/
> [2] http://www.red-dove.com/screencasts/pythonv/pythonv.html

Vinay:

I did a quick build and test using a non-default framework location and
the virtual env set up by ./python -m virtualize test_dir worked just
fine, just as the original virtualenv does with framework builds.  So
while we may find some nits down the road, I think the general approach
is fine.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org