[Pythonmac-SIG] Lion

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Thu Jul 21 21:35:55 CEST 2011

In article <B26BA0B9-804D-402E-8AF5-C9D9FA94AE93 at mac.com>,
 Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

> On 21 Jul, 2011, at 2:27, Ned Deily wrote:
>
> > In article <C3F76EDA-E6CD-4F97-8ABF-A770F5A4C6A4 at rosspixelworks.com>,
> > Dan Ross <dan at rosspixelworks.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Installing python.org's framework should work shouldn't it?
> >
> > The 64-bit/32-bin python.org installers (current releases are 3.2.1 and
> > 2.7.2) *should* work on 10.7 Lion.  I'm not so sure about the
> > traditional 32-bit-only ones (the 10.3+ ones). As with 10.6, I expect
> > you will need to install ActiveState Tcl/Tk 8.5 if you want to use
> > Tkinter or IDLE as there have been some recent fixes for Cocoa Tk.   I
> > just have completed downloading the official 10.7 release and should
> > have some preliminary results posted by tomorrow.
>
> Both should work, but only the 64-bit/32-bit installer is truly useful:  the
> xcode version for Lion is from the 4.x series and that no longer supports
> building PPC extensions, hence the Python installed by the 32-bit installer
> cannot build new extensions.

Ouch. I've been using the 32-bit (10.3) versions so I can build apps
that run on MacOS X 10.5 and later (10.4 as well, but I have no
requirement for that).

It sounds like the only ways to do that now are:
- Compile Python from source, plus all packages I use (numpy,
matplotlib, PIL...)
- Use the 32-bit version of Python and never, ever build an extension on
10.7.
- Try to use an older XCode on 10.7. I doubt that would work properly,
if at all.
- Stay with 10.6 or at least keep it around for building apps to
distribute.

I suspect it'll be at least 6 months and probably closer to a year
before I can abandon 10.5 users.

It'd be nice to have a python.org python that at least supported
10.5-10.7 (the 64 bit version required 10.6 and later, I believe due to
limitations in Apple's Tck/Tk). It sounds as if it would ditch PPC
support and either be 32-bit or else require a 3rd party Tck/Tk such as
ActiveState's offering.

-- Russell