[Pythonmac-SIG] debugging bus error on launch [py2app]

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Jun 6 16:04:27 CEST 2011

On 5 Jun, 2011, at 18:24, Jeffrey O'Neill wrote:

> I've used py2app for many years and have really appreciated how it makes it so easy to distribute my app.  I'm now running into problems and would appreciate suggestions for how to debug.  My setup:
> -- Snow Leopard
> -- 32-bit Python 2.7 from python.org
> -- py2app 6.3
> -- only external package is wxPython 2.8.12.0 (32-bit, Carbon, unicode)
>
> The changes from my last successful use of py2app six months ago are (1) moving from python 2.6 to python 2.7; (2) upgrading to latest py2app (don't know what I had before but I think it was at least a couple years old); and (3) changes to my python code that should not be significant.
>
> When I do
>     python setup.mac.py py2app
> everything seems to operate fine.  Stuff gets copied to build dir, creates app bundle, stripping, etc...  (Tried this both with and without -A).
>
> When I run out of the dist dir:
>     $ ./dist/OpenSTV.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenSTV
> I get
>     Bus error
> with a dump.
>
> I don't know where to begin debugging this and would greatly appreciate pointers.  My setup.mac.py is copied below and also the dump that OS X provides.  Note that my setup is a little complicated because I use __import__ and have to explicitly list the stuff that is being imported that way.

The setup file looks fine.  What you could try is to build using '--no-strip' and then use 'gdb ./dist/OpenSTV.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenSTV'.  With some luck this gives a hint on what causes the crash.

Are you by any change importing GUI code in a secondary thread? I've seen crashes in __CFInitialize before when Apple's frameworks get loaded on any thread that isn't the main thread.

Ronald