[Pythonmac-SIG] Getting an Error When Running App built with Py2app

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Jun 8 23:02:42 CEST 2011

On 8 Jun, 2011, at 8:29, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I think your note didn't get posted to the list (you have to "reply all"), so here it is:
>
> Chris Weisiger wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Chris Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov     which python are you using? Py2app is really expected to work right
>>    with Apple's built-in python (it can't include python itself)
>
>> That should be "is really *NOT* expected to work right...". :)
>
> oops, yes, that is what I meant!

And that's wrong. Py2app should work just fine with Apple's python, and then creates a semi-standalone app bundle that doesn't include Python itself. The advantage is a smaller application bundle, the disadvantage is that you must run it on the same OSX release as you built it on (or a newer one, AFAIK the result of building on 10.5 can run on 10.6)

Ronald