[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app and .so files

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Mar 6 12:08:42 CET 2011

On 4 Mar, 2011, at 17:10, Aahz wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 04, 2011, Andr? Sintzoff wrote:
>>
>> The application is created with:
>> $ python setup.py py2app --use-pythonpath
>>
>> Unfortunately, when
>> $ open ./dist/TortoiseHg.app/Contents/MacOS/TortoiseHg
>> the following message is displayed
>> ImportError: '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/mercurial/osutil.so'
>> not found
>>
>> I'm wondering why the application searches modules in
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework and not in the bundle just
>> created where the files are available.
>
> You need to download from python.org; using the built-in Python causes
> py2app to behave differently.

To be precise: py2app won't include the base install of Python in the appliction bundle when you use Apple's build of Python. This is make sure that you don't accidently ship parts of the OS in your application bundle (Python is open source, but it is better to be safe than sorry when lawyers can get involved).

What I don't understand is why it tries to load a part of mercurial from the stdlib, this definitely looks like a bug to me.  I wonder how mercurial got installed.

Ronald