[Pythonmac-SIG] Framework Python and X11

Lou Pecora lou_boog2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 22:29:48 CET 2011

----- Original Message ----
From: Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov>
To: pythonmac-sig at python.org
Sent: Thu, March 10, 2011 4:13:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Framework Python and X11

On 3/10/11 12:22 PM, Ned Deily wrote:
> The python.org installers for Mac OS X do not support linking to an X11
> tkinter.  The simplest solution might be to install a Python from
> MacPorts.

probably so, but

>  The current MacPorts Tk is an X11 Tk, its Pythons are
> framework builds, and it has its own wxPython ports.

I looked, and the wxPython ports are "wxmac", not wxGTK, which I think is what
the OP wants.

The fact that macports has done it means it can be done, so the OP would compile
his own python as well. I think he's got it working with TK the way they want,
so could he just add the framework flag and be done?

-Chris

-- Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

When I was building Sage which has Python 2.6 in it I kept getting X11 windows,
not the Apple Aqua version.  I found out using otool on the  _tkinter.so in sage
that I was building against a tk/tcl library that was
in /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk and apparently was an X11
library.  When I removed those libraries and rebuilt Sage it automatically built
against the Apple tk/tcl libraries in /System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/.
Then I got the Aqua windows.  Might this be the case here?

 -- Lou Pecora, my views are my own.