[Pythonmac-SIG] wide python config

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon May 23 09:28:33 CEST 2011

On 23 May, 2011,at 08:15 AM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

On 23 May, 2011, at 6:22, Ned Deily wrote:

> In article <BANLkTi=w-V==nmNiTWdpP9AtV=5wC8HWWQ at mail.gmail.com>,
> Jeffrey Denison <jeffrey.denison at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I need assistance for a "wide" install of Python 2.7 on a G5 running
>> Leopard 10.5.8. Trying to get the config files options set correctly.
>> I'm not using fink.
>
> Note, it's usually recommended to not use a wide build on OS X:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.devel/116519
>
> But, if you must, for 2.7, the relevant ./configure option should be
> --enable-unicode=ucs4. So, for a G5 if you want to try to include
> 64-bit support, try something like (untested!):
>
> ./configure --with-universal-archs=all --enable-unicode=ucs4

Why is that? I'd advise to not use 4-byte unicode because the most of the system uses a 2-byte unicode (UniChar in the Cocoa and Carbon frameworks). There is also a 4-byte wchar_t, but that is basically not used by anything from Apple.

Never mind, I wasn't fully awake when I wrote that mail and somehow read "system-wide" instead of "wide-unicode".

Ronald