[Pythonmac-SIG] Python 2.7 (Lion) and user site-packages folder problem

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Oct 6 01:42:32 CEST 2011

In article
<CANDJYq+HEqzMs541rV8ebm=3RHyqOuEJOHysy6LBxvLVTeQ-Sg at mail.gmail.com>,
 "Hamid M." <spam.wax at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I make Apple-supplied python-2.7 the default python on my system,
> it ignores my local site-packages folder in ~/Library/Python/2.7/site-packges
> This does not happen when using 2.6!
> Is this behavior expected ? How can I permanently add that folder to
> my sys.path?

For 2.7 (and 3.2), the location moved with the changes for Issue8084.
Those changes proved somewhat controversial and so there is an as-yet
unresolved issue about the location(s) for local site-packages on OS X
(see also Issue7175).  This will eventually get resolved before Python
3.3 releases.  In the meantime, try:

    ~/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/

You should also be able to create a symlink to make the old and the new
locations equivalent.

http://bugs.python.org/issue8084
http://bugs.python.org/issue7175

--