[Pythonmac-SIG] AppKit ImportError (was py2app: ImportError)

Sean Robinson sean.robinson at sccmail.maricopa.edu
Thu Oct 6 22:35:57 CEST 2011

On 10/06/2011 07:54 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>> On 6 Oct, 2011, at 16:51, Sean Robinson wrote:
>>

>>   Yes, my actual project had the same structure with a module and package with the same name.  This had not been a problem elsewhere, but I can see why it does not work with py2app.  So, I'll make sure to avoid a name collision between my init module and all packages, which sounds like a good practice to follow anyway.
>>
>>   Thank you for your help.  My bundled app is running.  Now to find why AppKit isn't importing…
>
> I've just pushed a partial fix to the repository, this fixes the issue for regular builds but not yet for '--alias' builds.  Your code was very helpful in finding the cause of the issue, and while writing a testcase for this problem.
>
> W.r.t. to AppKit not importing, does it import outside of the app bundle?

   My script works as 'python quot.py' and now I am trying to bundle it
up for my users to be able to click and run.  So, yes, from Terminal,
AppKit imports correctly and the AppKit.NSSound module works well.

   Looking at the various logs reported by py2app, it does not appear
that the needed dirs are added to the app bundle's sys.path.  The follow
process creates a failing AppKit import from the app bundle for me and
shows different sys.path for 'python quot.py' vs app bundle launch.  I
can provide much more detail (including modulegraph debug output) if
requested, but the following steps in a Terminal window can reproduce
the error for me every time.

$ echo "import sys" >> quot.py
$ echo "print sys.path" >> quot.py
$ echo "import AppKit" >> quot.py
$ cat quot.py
import sys
print sys.path
import AppKit

$ py2applet --make-setup quot.py
Wrote setup.py

$ python quot.py
NOTE: list of dirs in path

$ rm -rf build dist && python setup.py py2app
running py2app

$ open -a quot
NOTE: Error window appears and output is captured in Console which can
be condensed to "ImportError: No module named AppKit".

   I believe I can overcome this error by finding the right path(s) to
append to the app bundle's sys.path, but I'm surprised that py2app does
not do this automagically.

--
Sean Robinson
Laboratory Technician