[Pythonmac-SIG] Python completion in emacs fails on OSX

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed Apr 18 20:04:16 CEST 2012

In article <m1pqb5ez93.fsf at gmail.com>, Leo <sdl.web at gmail.com> wrote:

> turns out it is apple's fault:
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10295#46

Well, it's not the fault of Apple's Pythons.  If the problem is the
echo, you can see exactly the same results by using a current python.org
64-/32-bit Python.  Those Pythons, like the Apple-supplied system
Pythons, are linked with BSD editline.  If, instead, you install the
corresponding python.org 32-bit-only Python, the echo remains turned
off.  As I mentioned before, the 32-bit-only Python is linked with GNU
readline.  That's the only difference I can think of that makes sense.
(I see the same results with both OS X 10.6 and 10.7, BTW.)

So, if there is a problem, the likely culprit is libedit, the editline
library.   Another clue: try using another Apple-supplied utility that
is linked with libedit, for example, dscl.  Same thing happens there:
echo is immediately re-enabled.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org