[Pythonmac-SIG] wxCocoa no top menu

Mark Livingstone livingstonemark at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 09:46:53 CEST 2012

On 16 August 2012 15:57, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

> Looking at the documentation of wx I'd say this behavior is expected. When you click on the green led the window is maximized, and ShowFullScreen makes the window a full screen window (simular to the arrow icon's in the lefthand corner of Safari on recent OSX versions, and simular to how full-screen games work). Wx also has a Maximize method that does do the same thing as the green LED.

Yes, that was it. Since my app has a spreadsheet-like grid as its UI,
I just did a frame.maximize() before the frame.Show() and it works
beautifully.

I presume that 32 bit Carbon wx 2.8.* must have started maximized as
standard, while wx 2.9.4 Cocoa 64 bit doesn't.

Since everyone has been following the saga, I can say that with a
small patch to py2app from Ronald, I have been able to successfully
create a salstat.app which, once I include a few minor modules (aui
constants IIRC) looks like it will work nicely under 64 bit wxCocoa
2.9.4 for Lion & Mountain Lion with py2.7, wxPython, PyQT, sip, pydoc,
PIL, matplotlib, bumpy, scipy, xlrd, xlwt, using Macports. This was
all done on my Mountain Lion machine. I haven't gotten back to the the
Python.org mess yet ;-) 32 bit Carbon still works fine from Source at
present other than the vanishing font dialog which is a known wx
"won't fix" - not a major issue!

Cheers,

MArkL