[Pythonmac-SIG] PyObjC ScreenSaver on 10.7

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Dec 27 10:17:24 CET 2012

On 27 Dec, 2012, at 7:57, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

> BTW. This might explain why the Screen Saver example works for me, but not for you: Apple is clearly moving away from GC and I'm running a newer OS release where Apple might have migrated the Screen Saver engine back to manual reference counting.

This forum post also seems to indicate that GC is needed for screen savers on OSX 10.6 and 10.7, but not 10.8: <http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1417509.html>

This means you cannot use PyObjC to build screen savers for OSX 10.6 or 10.7, I'll update the documentation.   While it is technically possible to make PyObjC GC-safe I don't think it is worth the effort because GC is on the way out.

Ronald