[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: distutils and stdarg.h

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Feb 9 21:41:50 CET 2012

In article <rowen-ACAA42.11370509022012 at news.gmane.org>,
 "Russell E. Owen" <rowen at uw.edu> wrote:
> I suggest you try one of these things:
> - Use gcc 4.0.1 to build extensions for 32-bit python.org python. That's
> what I'm still doing. It requires XCode 3.x.

Yes.

> - Use gcc 4.2.1 to build extensions for 64-bit python.org python. Two
> issues:
>    - you give up compatibility with MacOS X 10.5.
>    - The result will not work with ActiveState's Tcl/Tk. Not a problem
> for you, but both of these are unacceptable for my code.

I don't understand what you mean by this.  The python.org 64-/32-bit
installers have a deployment target of 10.6 so will only work on 10.6
and 10.7 but they should work just fine with ActiveState's Tcl/Tk 8.5.x
on 10.6 and 10.7, just not on 10.5.  In fact, the installers are built
and tested on systems with A/S Tcl/Tk 8.5.x and are their use is
virtually required on 10.6 for any Tkinter applications due to the
broken state of the Apple-supplied in Tcl/Tk 8.5.x in 10.6 (the
Apple-supplied Tcl/Tk 8.5.x is better in 10.7 but still behind the A/S
version wrt critical fixes.)

http://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/

--
 Ned Deily,