[Pythonmac-SIG] Question about py2app packages and includes options

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 18 00:25:46 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Michael McCracken

> My question is: why does 'packages' copy the package recursively, but
> not into the .zip,

because there are packages that don't work right if zipped -- so this
gets around that.

> while 'includes' only gets single modules?

I suspect it's because there should be a way to include a particular
module without the whole package. Essentially:

"includes" adds a module to list, just as thought there were an
"import module name" line in the code -- it is used to cover dynamic
imports that won't be caught by walking the code.

"packages" makes na compete copy of the package, and puts it outside
the zip bundle -- this is fro including packages that have auxiliary
files, etc, and/or can't be zipped for other reasons.

It's a big ugly, but I've managed to put packages into the zip with
something like this:

includes = ["package",
                "package.subpackage"
                "package.subpackage.module1"
                "package.subpackage.module2"
]

for some reason (is it a bug? -- or has it been fixed?) doing:

includes = [ "package.subpackage.module"]

puts module in the root, so it's there but can't be imported the same way.

HTH,

- Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov