[Pythonmac-SIG] Problems with /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax

William R. Wing (Bill Wing) wrw at mac.com
Wed Jun 6 16:12:52 CEST 2012

On Jun 6, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> On 6/5/12 10:36 PM, William R. Wing (Bill Wing) wrote:
>> But, to be sure I understand…  Is the reason I hadn't run into this problem earlier simply because Tk and wx need to check in with Apple Events so they can get things like mouse clicks, whereas more basic Python scripts don't?
>
> If you post a copy of your code, it would be easier to figure out what's going on.
>
> --
> Kevin Walzer
> Code by Kevin
> http://www.codebykevin.com

Probably not worth the bandwidth at this point, but here it is:

#!/usr/bin/env python

from Tkinter import *

class Application(Frame):
    def say_hi(self):
        print "hi there, everyone!"

    def createWidgets(self):
        self.QUIT = Button(self)
        self.QUIT["text"] = "QUIT"
        self.QUIT["fg"]   = "red"
        self.QUIT["command"] =  self.quit

        self.QUIT.pack({"side": "left"})

        self.hi_there = Button(self)
        self.hi_there["text"] = "Hello",
        self.hi_there["command"] = self.say_hi

        self.hi_there.pack({"side": "left"})

    def __init__(self, master=None):
        Frame.__init__(self, master)
        self.pack()
        self.createWidgets()

root = Tk()
app = Application(master=root)
app.mainloop()
root.destroy()

That code was copied straight out of the Tk documentation at:
  http://docs.python.org/library/tk.html
and it triggered the error caused by the 32-bit Adobe file in /ScriptingAdditions/ that I'd never seen before.

It turns out that Adobe has posted a 64-bit version of the file, although it takes a fair amount of work in a terminal session to get it, set its permissions, ownership, and ACL all properly.
But, it still leaves me wondering - why do wxPython and Tkinter need to look at stuff in the ScriptingAdditions area of the OS at all?

Thanks for your patience,
Bill