[Pythonmac-SIG] PyCon..

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Mar 11 01:56:26 CET 2012

On 10 Mar, 2012, at 15:05, Chris Barker wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm planning to sprint through Thursday.   I've added a > Mac OS X Support
>> project to the PyCon sprint page.  Feel free to add topics and add
>> yourself.  Hope to see you all there!
>
> I"ve seen neither you nor Ronald yet...

Both of us are here. I'm currently in the mailman 3 session.

> I'm here(there) Monday -- not suer what I'm sprinting on yet -- any
> ideas what you'd like to do for MacPython?

I won't sprint myself, but Ned has a list. From the top of my head:

* distutils/packaging needs some work to deal with recent Xcodes, and possibly OSX 10.8

* add support for liblzma to the build script for the osx installer
   (this in seems to be trivial, my limited testing of the xz package seems to indicate that it will build a universal binary without using lipo)

* possibly add openssl to the installer as Apple's copy is not up-to-date and contains bugs that users have run into

* default MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET should be the OS release of the build machine, that is less confusing for users

* <http://docs.python.org/py3k/using/mac.html> needs work

If you don't mind wading through distutils-related code: there are a number of open issues on the py2app bugtracker

> I do note that there are a LOT of macs here -- but darn few MacPython
> folks -- I suppose most of them use it like *nix, and don't need/want
> anything mac-specific.

There have always been a lot of macs at technical conferences, but this
year there are even more than usual.

Ronald