[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app, system Python, and Mac App Store

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Fri May 4 00:53:59 CEST 2012

My recent difficulties getting a Python app uploaded to the Mac App
Store (owing to apparent issues with Apple's uploader, which seems to
strip out symlinks in the embedded framework) have prompted me to look
at deploying a version of my app linked to the system Python. I've never
deployed a semi-standalone app, so I'm not sure what issues to be aware
of. How does backward and forward compatibility work? (I'm on Lion.) If
I have any extensions that I want wrapped (currently they are in my
site-packages dir in /Library/Frameworks/Python), do I need to move them?

On a related note, does anyone else have a Python app in the Mac App
Store? Have you encountered issues with uploads or approvals? How are
you setting up py2app? My recent headaches getting the app uploaded have
been a real curveball, because I have had any issues previously.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer