[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app, system Python, and Mac App Store

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri May 4 09:32:33 CEST 2012

On 4 May, 2012, at 0:53, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> My recent difficulties getting a Python app uploaded to the Mac App Store (owing to apparent issues with Apple's uploader, which seems to strip out symlinks in the embedded framework)

That sucks.

> have prompted me to look at deploying a version of my app linked to the system Python. I've never deployed a semi-standalone app, so I'm not sure what issues to be aware of. How does backward and forward compatibility work? (I'm on Lion.) If I have any extensions that I want wrapped (currently they are in my site-packages dir in /Library/Frameworks/Python), do I need to move them?

--semi-standalone without --site-packages should result in a build that doesn't access your site-packages directory (and that includes /Library/Frameworks/Python). The Apple provided bits are considered part of the stdlib for this (twisted, pyobjc, ...) because they cannot be copied into the application bundle.

Apple tends to be fairly careful w.r.t. backward compatibility, but when you create a semi-standalone on Lion it will not necessarily run on Snow Leopard.

> On a related note, does anyone else have a Python app in the Mac App Store?

I don't.

Ronald