[Pythonmac-SIG] IDLE Crashes when Prefs are accessed on Python 3.3 on OSX 10.8.2

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Thu Oct 11 05:26:02 CEST 2012

On 10/10/12 10:02 PM, Kevin Walzer wrote:
> I've been stepping through the IDLE source code and it appears IDLE is
> crashing during the LoadConfigs() call of the config dialog. Still have
> more investigating to do, but I'm hopeful I can come up with a
> workaround that will keep things from crashing.

I've traced the crash to this call in configDialog.py, around line 830
or so:

def SetFontSample(self,event=None):
        fontName=self.fontName.get()
        if self.fontBold.get():
            fontWeight=tkFont.BOLD
        else:
            fontWeight=tkFont.NORMAL
        ###This is where it crashes!! How to fix?
        self.editFont.config(size=self.fontSize.get(),
                 weight=fontWeight,family=fontName)

Specifically, the crash occurs in self.editFont.config, which configures
the font-sample display in the preferences dialog. I haven't been able
to develop a workaround yet--calls to "self.update," etc. haven't
worked--and will revisit it in the next day or so. Any other suggestions
are appreciated.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer