[Pythonmac-SIG] broken symlinks when building framework

Nat Echols nathaniel.echols at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 20:41:57 CET 2013

Hi--

We are building the Python framework and packaging it for distribution
along with a large volume of other scripts and shared libraries.  One
step involves running shutil.copy to move the common 'bin' directory
to a temporary directory.  This fails when it gets to the symlinks
generated by the 'installunixtools' option in the Mac-specific
makefile:

"/net/clover/scratch1/builder/build_cctbx_plus/base/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/shutil.py",
line 82, in copyfile
    with open(src, 'rb') as fsrc:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'bin/2to3-2'

Indeed, the 'bin' directory contains a number of such broken symlinks
to non-existent files in Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin, basically
all of them the versioned commands.  I looked at the Makefile code and
it is clearly linking each of these explicitly, but the framework
build never creates them in the first place.  Are we missing a step in
our building and installation, or is this just a bug?

thanks,
Nat