[Pythonmac-SIG] bdist_mpkg replacement

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 23:30:56 CET 2013

Hi,

> a while back there has been a discussion about Python 3 support in
> bdist_mpkg. Basically, I was in the same situation as the original
> poster and was looking for a way to produce binary packages for Python 3.
> As it seemed that bdist_mpkg is not maintained anymore and it's using an
> obsolete package format anyway, I started getting my hands dirty and
> looked into writing a replacement for it. In the end, it wasn't actually
> that difficult and it works fine for my project now.

I'm maintaining bdist_mpkg, and it should support Python 3 now:

https://github.com/matthew-brett/bdist_mpkg

> So far, I didn't publish it anywhere but if there's enough demand, I'd
> be happy to create a project space somewhere and make it available.
> It's implemented as a regular distutils command (called bdist_osxinst,
> similar to the existing bdist_wininst), so usage should be as you
> probably would expect. It works with Python 2 and 3 and I tried to make
> it fairly generic and not tailor it to my own project.
>
> So are there still some people around that would like to give this a try
> or is the general opinion that things like easy_install or pip should be
> the preferred method anyway?

I for one would be very grateful if you did put up your project.  The reason I
picked up bdist_mpkg was because pip didn't do binaries, and easy_install
required the command line, and seems to be eternally fragile.  So, yes, please,
do put up your project, I'd love to have a look, and I'm happy to switch if
that seems like the best thing.

Cheers,

Matthew