[Pythonmac-SIG] bdist_mpkg replacement

Matthias Baas matthias.baas at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 23:56:38 CET 2013

On 17.02.13 22:30, Matthew Brett wrote:
> I for one would be very grateful if you did put up your project.  The reason I
> picked up bdist_mpkg was because pip didn't do binaries, and easy_install
> required the command line, and seems to be eternally fragile.  So, yes, please,
> do put up your project, I'd love to have a look, and I'm happy to switch if
> that seems like the best thing.

Well, as bdist_mpkg is actually still active, I didn't register anything
yet but just attached my current version to this email (I hope this list
allows attachments). Have a look at it and see if it makes sense.

As a first example, you can just run it on itself by running

  python setup.py bdist_osxinst

in the root directory. If you want to run it on other packages, either
set PYTHONPATH or install it and then run

  python setup.py --command-packages=bdist_osxinst bdist_osxinst

The current features are:

- Produces a flat package file (which is a single compressed file, so
there is no need to create a dmg (but the generated package won't work
on OSX 10.4 or earlier I believe))

- Extracts the architecture from the flags that were used to build
Python and makes sure the package cannot be installed on different
architectures if the package contains extension modules.

- Allows customizing the package titles and descriptions (via an ini
config file or config string) as well as welcome page, readme, license, etc.

- Checks at installation time whether the appropriate Python version is
actually installed. If not, the package can't be installed.

- By default, every top-level Python package is put into a separate
component package, so in the installer GUI you can actually inspect what
Python packages get installed (and you could customize it if you really
wanted to). You can disable this behavior and put everything into a
single package.

- If you use the --keep-temp option to keep temporary files around,
you'll find a shell script that can be run to re-generate the package
files. This serves as documentation what the command actually does
internally but it also allows you to tweak the package manually if you
really wanted to.

- And now for the actual killer feature: It uses the Python logo as
background image! :)

Cheers,

- Matthias -