[Pythonmac-SIG] Can any cross platform gui framework limitations be filled with ctypes / pyobjc or other?

Paul Wiseman poalman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 11:46:58 CEST 2013

I'm looking to make a cross platform application, and I'm looking into
different languages and options to get an understanding of the strengths
and limitations before I put significant effort in a particular direction.

One option I'm considering is using python with QT and PySide.

Maybe this isn't the best place the ask, but maybe some people will know.

Qt looks great from my first impressions but one thing I'm not too sure
about is how native it can go, I know the controls are native and will use
carbon/cocoa underneath on mac for example. But one thing I'm trying to
find out, is if it's possible to add fully native bits to it using cocoa
api.

For example would it be possible to transition two windows with a flip
animation like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY_Y6rpSgsU. Maybe
using ctypes and loading a .so file, or using PyObjC or access the api?

A lot of the cross platform gui frameworks I've used before just seemed to
support the common denominator of features across windows, mac and gtk and
often features or concepts just specific to one or two platforms aren't
supported - which is understandable.

But would anyone know if it would be possible to implement these platform
specific bits whilst using PySide, using ctypes / pyobjc etc? (window
animations, mac sheets etc.)

Thanks!

Paul