[Pythonmac-SIG] Can any cross platform gui framework limitations be filled with ctypes / pyobjc or other?

Paul Wiseman poalman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 16:34:51 CEST 2013

On 9 July 2013 14:50, Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:

> On 7/9/13 9:15 AM, Paul Wiseman wrote:
>
>> It looks like you can get the native window handle which is promising:
>> https://deptinfo-ensip.univ-**poitiers.fr/ENS/pyside-docs/**
>> PySide/QtGui/QWidget.html#**PySide.QtGui.PySide.QtGui.**QWidget.winId<https://deptinfo-ensip.univ-poitiers.fr/ENS/pyside-docs/PySide/QtGui/QWidget.html#PySide.QtGui.PySide.QtGui.QWidget.winId>
>>

> Good to see.
>
> By the way, is PySide still being maintained after Digia took over Qt? My
> impression is that it was now an orphan.

Nope, they had a release today in fact (v1.2.0) so it's very much still
active.

I've only just started looking into it so I'm not sure on the full story -
so this is possibly wrong or inaccurate but I believe Nokia sold Qt to
Digia, then they had licencing issues trying to use pyQt and couldn't come
to an agreement with riverbank computing, so Nokia made their own bindings
(PySide) and open sourced them. So there's now two sets of python bindings
and from what I can tell PySide seems to release updates for new features
of Qt before pyQt as well. I think PySide is purely a community project
now, I don't think Nokia has much to do with it (again I could be wrong!)
but still seems active.