[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem installing pyobjc

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 15:46:15 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com>wrote:

> On 30 Jul, 2013, at 15:09, Nicholas Cole <nicholas.cole at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear List,
> >
> > I am having trouble installing pyobjc.  I've tried three things:
> >
> > # python --version
> > Python 2.7.3rc1
>
> Not that it is related to your problem, but why do you use an old
> prerelease version of python? The current release is 2.7.5.

You are quite right.  This is not my main machine but a spare and I haven't
updated the python on it.  If only apt-get update-all worked on the Mac. ;-)

[snip]

> > # python setup.py install
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "setup.py", line 32, in <module>
> >     import distribute_setup
> > ImportError: No module named distribute_setup
> > bash-3.2#
>
> Oops, it looks like the source archive is not complete.  The workaround is
> to first install setuptools, does "python -c 'import setuptools'" work?

It didn't and then I updated setuptools.

However the build still fails with:

copying PyObjCTest/test_weakref.py ->
build/lib.macosx-10.6-intel-2.7/PyObjCTest
running build_ext
error: No such file or directory
bash-3.2#