[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython and automating wheel builds

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 4 18:05:06 CEST 2014

Matthew,

I would like some feedback on an idea I had for providing a
> wheel-building service via the MacPython organization.

Do you mean the gitHub MacPython organization? If so, then yes, this is
exactly the kind of thing I had in mind when I started that.

Following up an idea and code by Matt Terry [1], I've made a general
> repo called 'terryfy', with tools for building Python projects on the
> travis-ci OSX virtual machines [2].
>
> Meanwhile, Olivier Grisel from scikit-learn kindly gave me access to the
> scikit-learn rackspace account for uploading built wheels.
>
> This made it rather easy to make a series of repos to build OSX wheels
> automatically. An example is the 'h5py-wheels' repo [3], to build
> OSX wheels for the h5py project.

One thought on this -- I had envisioned one repo that would contain the
stuff to build a whole bunch of projects -- not one per project. One reason
is that ere is a lot of shared effort -- for instance, there are multiple
packages that require the HDF5 libs -- the code to build HDF5 itself should
be shared, ideally.

This may not work with with the travis links -- if everything in a repo
would need to be rebuilt when only one had been changed, though.

> There are currently terryfy-based wheel-building projects for h5py
> [3], numpy / scipy [5], matplotlib [6], cython [7], scikit-image [8],
> scikit-learn [9], pandas [10], Pillow [11], tornado [12],
> numexpr [13] and Markupsafe [14].  These all build wheels against the
> Python.org Python.

great work!

So, I was wondering if y'all agreed that it was sensible to start
> transferring these repos to the MacPython organization.

yes -- it makes loads more sense to spread the load here.

In this way, we could have a collection of say 25 MacPython organization
> repos that would provide an OSX wheel-building service to projects that
> need it.  It could be a central point for advice and help on building
> OSX wheels.

sounds good to me. Thanks for putting all this effort in!

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov