[Pythonmac-SIG] [Pyobjc-dev] py2app release delayed

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 27 16:38:22 EST 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com>
wrote:

> As an aside to this: I’m considering to remove the site-packages.zip file
> from the app bundle and store everything outside off zipfiles. A lot of
> code works inside zipfiles, but there are too many exceptions and with the
> transition from eggs to wheels even less packages will care to document
> whether or not they work with their code in zipfiles.

I think this is a good idea -- these days, size really only matters when
you're shipping the app, not when it's on disk (or SSD) -- so why bother
with the zip?

 > I have an issue about copying enough information into the application to
ensure pkg_resources.require works, but haven’t gotten around to doing the
work for that because I don’t need the feature myself.

> AFAIK pkg_resources should work for accessing datafiles though. Could you
> file a bug for the pytz problem on py2app’s tracker?

pkg_resources is a pain in general, and particularly always has been with
py2app and the like.

but I've usually gotten it to work OK by explicitly listing the package to
be included, so that py2app will bundle the whole thing.

> It seems that py2app will package up all the files in a package, not just
> the
> .py files. Is that the algorithm that is used?
>

> That’s correct. All files in the directory of a python package are assumed
> to be important.

which is why it usually works OK for things like pytz. :-(

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov