[Pythonmac-SIG] PyObjC and macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Sep 13 16:59:14 EDT 2016

> On Sep 13, 2016, at 12:05 PM, Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl> wrote:
>
> I think /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages is a very old location for storing Python packages. Recently things have been installed in /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages.
>
> Could it be that you’ve installed pyobjc a couple of OSX releases ago?

This is always worth checking ;).  Particularly if it was a few Setuptools releases ago.  Also worth checking: ~/Library/Python.

> And could it be that the OSX upgrade that introduced SIP somehow didn’t clean out user-installed things from /Library/Frameworks before turning off write permission?

SIP locks down /System, not /Library.

> A possible workaround is to turn off SIP (or boot from the recovery partition), record what is in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages and then clean it out. Then after a reboot re-install the packages you’re still using.

This should be an _absolute_ last resort, though.  You should be able to clean out /Library just fine.  If you have a /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework, that's probably Python.org <http://python.org/> python, not system python.

-glyph