[Pythonmac-SIG] PyObjC and macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Sep 21 05:48:27 EDT 2016

> On Sep 21, 2016, at 01:52, Andrew Jaffe <a.h.jaffe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That would work, and in fact I don't really need PyObjC (sorry, Ronald!) but I've got my whole setup working with the "global" python.org <http://python.org/> framework build, so I am used to that... and the Sierra status quo does seem ugly (and quite possibly is a bug!).

Well, Apple ships certain libraries, and they want them to be on your path.

The nice thing about virtualenv is that, along with pip wheel caching, re-creating them is really fast, so you don't have to just do one setup; you just make a requirements.txt for each separate environment you want, and regularly re-create it, so you know that if you give directions to anyone else, your setup will work for them as well.

One bad habit we get into is getting a full-on environment set up on our own workstation, and then not knowing exactly what we installed, and therefore what we need in order for someone else to build and work on our software.  Virtualenv helps reduce that problem a bit.

-glyph