[Pythonmac-SIG] notarization works! (was Re: not that)

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Oct 28 19:56:49 EDT 2018

> On Oct 28, 2018, at 2:57 PM, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
>> I wonder what the “hardened runtime” option actually does and enforces.   In 3.7 the line in ctypes/__init__.py that causes the exception is a call that creates a dummy C function, and likely triggers the first allocation for storing a libffi closure which could be something the hardened runtime doesn’t like (being writeable + executable memory).
>
> Interesting. Perhaps what I want is simply https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/com_apple_security_cs_allow-unsigned-executable-memory <https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/com_apple_security_cs_allow-unsigned-executable-memory> then?  Any chance you know how to jam that into a `codesign` command line somehow? :-)

Thank you so much for this tip, Ronald!  This was much easier than I anticipated, and things are working now!

The relevant entitlements file is literally just:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.security.cs.allow-unsigned-executable-memory</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

I dropped that in a file, added `--entitlements=$THAT_FILE.plist` to my codesign invocations, removed all my workarounds for ctypes et. al. (except for the hard-coded 'import _cffi_backend' still necessary to convince modulegraph to include enough code for SSL to work), and then tried launching my app.  Success!  Then I tried notarizing it: also success!  Time permitting, I'll be updating my blog post at https://glyph.twistedmatrix.com/2018/01/shipping-pygame-mac-app.html <https://glyph.twistedmatrix.com/2018/01/shipping-pygame-mac-app.html> with this information, and possibly publishing the now unfortunately somewhat complex tooling I use to do signing now.

So I don't know if I'm the first to do this, but looking at the archives for these lists I seem to be the first to report it: you can successfully codesign and notarize apps created with py2app and python 3.6!

It seems to me that whatever "MAP_JIT" is (an mmap flag, I'm guessing?) libffi needs to be using it for the memory it places synthetic closures into, so that this entitlement won't be necessary with some future version of Python.  But it looks like Apple is not pushing particularly hard to deprecate this one right now, thank goodness :-).

-glyph