[Pythonmac-SIG] [ANN] PyObjC 5.0

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Sep 20 23:59:47 EDT 2018

On Sep 18, 2018, at 1:22 PM, Ronald Oussoren via Pythonmac-SIG <pythonmac-sig at python.org> wrote:

> PyObjC 5.0 is out

Thanks again for your tireless (or at least apparently tireless) maintenance, Ronald!

> * Added bindings for the “CarbonCore” subframework of the “CoreServices” framework.
>
> Most APIs in this subframework are not available to Python, only those APIs that are not deprecated and seem interesting are exposed.

One thing I wondered about when I saw "carbon" here is that I wonder if the APIs that could make https://pythonhosted.org/pyobjc/examples/Cocoa/AppKit/HotKeyPython/index.html <https://pythonhosted.org/pyobjc/examples/Cocoa/AppKit/HotKeyPython/index.html> are exposed again?  The cautions that the relevant Carbon APIs require 32-bit mode are inaccurate; https://blog.shpakovski.com/2012/07/global-keyboard-shortcuts-in-cocoa.html <https://blog.shpakovski.com/2012/07/global-keyboard-shortcuts-in-cocoa.html> explains that they're still supported in sandboxed Mac App Store apps, so they're just poorly documented, not deprecated.  (It seems that there's never been a proper Cocoa replacement for this functionality, just a couple of popular wrappers floating around out there...)

This is something I have wanted to do in Python many times, but never quite badly enough to figure out all the build gymnastics required to get the bindings for https://github.com/shpakovski/MASShortcut <https://github.com/shpakovski/MASShortcut> built and bundled with my application.

-glyph

P.S.: speaking of build gymnastics, does anyone on this list happen to have a way to use CocoaPods or something similar to pull in open source Cocoa frameworks to a PyObjC application?