[PyVault-devel] Re: Packaging Python Pyvault Style (was Re: python 2.3 for RH7.3)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net
Tue Dec 21 23:03:17 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 12:16:20AM +0800, Jeff Pitman wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 December 2004 02:38, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Only python developers need to take care to have proper python-devels
> > packages that pull in the proper pythonXX packages.
>
> python23-devel, python24-devel.

I'd prefer python-devel-2.3.4-xxx, python-devel-2.4.0-xxx. The reason
is that python packages (modules and apps, not python itself) should
have a plain

BuildRequires: python-devel >= 2.2

Otherwise you end up rewriting specfiles for rebuilding packages on
different pythons.

Python package developers (PyVaultians? ;) need to take care to have a
build-system that allows picking the right python-devel out of
multiple. ypt/yum will always pull in the latest, which will be the
right choice for most applications.

python-devel could of course just be an intermediate stub for
pythonXX-devel.

Yes, the latest rpm features of implicit Provides/Obsoletes are rather
interesting ... :/

(If I had a quick handle to patch them out, I surely would, the pain
is rather high ...)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net