[PyVault-devel] package name for mod_python (Re: introduction)

Terrel Shumway terrel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 18:21:54 CET 2005

> I'd consider mod_python more of an application.  Though, try to poke
> around to see what precedents we have--has Debian or others done this
> before?  I'm thinking possibly mod_pythonXY should be sufficiently
> descriptive.

I consider mod_python a library, because you cannot run it standalone.
It fits in the same space as pythonXY-cheetah and pythonXY-webware

Debian also considers it a library. They call it:

libapache[2]-mod-python[x.y]

I don't like the _ either, but changing mod_python to mod-python threw
me for a loop -- I couldn't find it until I searched on just "python"

following our naming convention, it would then be

 pythonXY-apache2

I like that, but I don't like removing mod_python.

 pythonXY-apache2-mod_python

is a bit long, but tells the whole story

 pythonXY-apache2-mod_python-3.1.3-1.fc3.pyv.i386.rpm

is 52 characters.  I can live with that.

I can also live with `mod_pythonXY`, because that is what the DSO file
will actually be called, and because it still has `mod_python` as a
substring for searches.