[sapug] Introduction

Chris Foote chris at inetd.com.au
Mon Feb 13 13:59:42 CET 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Daryl Tester wrote:

> John Steele Scott wrote:
>
>> When my brain is up to it, I'm studying the Scheme programming language.
>
> I've got some leave coming up soon, and I'm hoping to make a significant
> dent in SICP.  I've had several abortive attempts at it, but 10 minutes
> or so here or there doesn't soak into the brain well.

hehe.. I bought the book last year and I managed to get to page 43 :-(
Seriously though, I'll get a round tuit one of these days (busy at the
moment doing an MSc in IT degree).  I bought the "Little Schemer" at
the same time, which is most interesting, and "this page reserved for
jelly stains" raised a smile.  Jumping between Common Lisp and Scheme
makes for interesting syntax errors.

>> Although I haven't got very far with it yet, I think I can already
>> relate to an observation I read on an MSDN blog that "Lisp is a Curse".[1]
>
> I've always thought of it as that language they used in Snow Crash to
> rewrite people's brains.  :-)

hmm.. sounds like an interesting book.  Lisp overwrote my brain a couple
of years ago!

>> Especially since we already have a Ruby troll on the list. :)
>
> He's harmless provided you don't get him wet or feed him after midnight.

... or get him started on Python's "list comprehensions" versus Ruby's
"blocks"[1].  I'd like to try Ruby on Rails, so I'll get to play with
Ruby then.

[1] Ruby, Python, "Power" http://blog.ianbicking.org/ruby-python-power.html

--
Chris Foote <chris at inetd.com.au>