[sapug] Introduction

stephen white steve at adam.com.au
Tue Feb 14 02:17:10 CET 2006

On 13/02/2006, at 11:29 PM, Chris Foote wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Daryl Tester wrote:
>> I've got some leave coming up soon, and I'm hoping to make a
>> significant
>> dent in SICP.  I've had several abortive attempts at it, but 10
>> minutes
>> or so here or there doesn't soak into the brain well.
>
> hehe.. I bought the book last year and I managed to get to page 43 :-(

I had that book for two of my subjects (I think I may have been the
one who recommended it to Daryl?) at Adelaide Uni, and it's
incredibly dense material. It covers about the same amount per
paragraph as other books cover per subject, confirming my theory that
it's used for weeding out students at MIT. It's a first year book
over there!

>>> Especially since we already have a Ruby troll on the list. :)
>> He's harmless provided you don't get him wet or feed him after
>> midnight.
> ... or get him started on Python's "list comprehensions" versus Ruby's

Part of the reason I'm a Ruby Troll is because it was the first time
I was exposed to the original Smalltalk version of Object Oriented
Programming. Years of painful miscomprehension induced by the
abortion of C++ and its legions sloughed off in an instant(iation),
as the clear shining vision of Alan Kay dawned on my mindscape!

Firmly into Objective C these days, using Smalltalk as a scripting
layer on top of compiled Smalltalk with implementation in C.
Languages go in the strangest directions!

Steve.

   steve at adam.com.au