[sapug] Stateless Iteration

stephen white steve at adam.com.au
Mon Jun 12 05:44:40 CEST 2006

On 12/06/2006, at 11:50 AM, Daryl Tester wrote:
> So I guess what I'm after is some method/pattern where, given
> an arbitrary function running on a server, I can extract enough
> state from it to be handed over to the client (ignoring for the

While you're using XML, there doesn't seem to be a way around the
problem as the answer is to stream the data, whereas XML is formatted
in blocks. Given that constraint, the answer seems to be to use an
intermediate server providing the API you want.

That is to say, instead of a client/server arrangement, you want a
client/api-server/server arrangement... where the database has no
state, but the api-server does. That arrangement is scalable as you
simply bung in more machines as you start running out of memory/CPU/
network, without the cost of a database per server.

Needless to say, I think XML is a re-invention of the wheel, with
spanners and swiss-army knives poking out of the treads, and I refuse
to touch it. :)

   steve at adam.com.au