[sapug] hello everyone

Daryl Tester Daryl.Tester at iocane.com.au
Thu Oct 5 01:31:30 CEST 2006

nepBabu.cx wrote:

> I am in SA as well. :)

That's OK, I wasn't sure when you said you joined via gmane.org whether
you were a local or not (the LinuxSA mailing list has a lot of non-local
members).  If you'd come in via http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/sapug
the "About sapug" reads:

"We're a Group of Users who use Python, and we live in South Australia. I
 realise the name is deceptive, but there you have it."

Which is also deceptive because we like to discuss other languages as well.  :-)

> It's sort of strange because I keep hearing this
> REPL thing, which sounded like fancy term for PERL

If you haven't already, read the link that John posted earlier about
LISP on spacecraft, which gives a good REPL story.  f you're a newcomer
to languages in general, the best advice I can give as an "old timer"
(NE555? *groan*) is that old languages still have something to offer,
especially when their features start popping up in new langauges and
are then touted as "recent inventions" (insert XML/s-expr Java/Smalltalk
flamewar >here<).

> But it's really good that I joined atleast, learn something new in every
> post. :)

Except probably this one.  :-)  Enjoy!

--
Regards,