[sapug] hello everyone

nepBabu.cx nepbabu.cx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 14:30:45 CEST 2006

Daryl Tester wrote:
> nepBabu.cx wrote:
>
>> I am in SA as well. :)
>
> That's OK, I wasn't sure when you said you joined via gmane.org whether
> you were a local or not (the LinuxSA mailing list has a lot of non-local
> members).  If you'd come in via http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/sapug
> the "About sapug" reads:
>
> "We're a Group of Users who use Python, and we live in South Australia. I
>  realise the name is deceptive, but there you have it."

ah! though so sapug (south australian python user group).

> Which is also deceptive because we like to discuss other languages as well.  :-)

I like learning every language I can. :) But I haven't dared even
touching anything older/other than C(I can do few of the stuffs in it),
a little bit in Smalltalk, little bit less on C++ compared to Java
(which I can program the best amongst all) and finally Python is my
hobby. :)

>> It's sort of strange because I keep hearing this
>> REPL thing, which sounded like fancy term for PERL
>
> If you haven't already, read the link that John posted earlier about
> LISP on spacecraft, which gives a good REPL story.  f you're a newcomer
> to languages in general, the best advice I can give as an "old timer"
> (NE555? *groan*) is that old languages still have something to offer,
> especially when their features start popping up in new langauges and
> are then touted as "recent inventions" (insert XML/s-expr Java/Smalltalk
> flamewar >here<).

Yeah, I thought so, came across the word *objects* and *OO* in Smalltalk
while reading about it but most of the stuff in Java was repeated (I
thought Java was unique. But maybe it just *re-coined* objects. anyhow,
I find coding in Java easier than Smalltalk (But Smalltalk (the Visual
works libray) it's huge! . ~:/

>> But it's really good that I joined atleast, learn something new in every
>> post. :)
>
> Except probably this one.  :-)  Enjoy!

hehe.. :)

--