[sapug] Question regarding Python software license

stephen white steve at adam.com.au
Thu Oct 5 15:23:26 CEST 2006

On 05/10/2006, at 10:18 PM, nepBabu.cx wrote:
> 1. If a person has made a software in Python, does he/she have to
> release the Python source as well ?

No.

> 2. If the source is released, is it compulsory to allow the user of
> that
> source to make modifications and re-release the source (but ofcourse
> with due credits) as in GPL?

No... software you write with Python doesn't have to be GPL.

> I like learning every language I can. :) But I haven't dared even
> touching anything older/other than C(I can do few of the stuffs in
> it),

Nothing new since Turing and von Neumann... the buzzwords get updated
every now and then.

> a little bit in Smalltalk, little bit less on C++ compared to Java
> (which I can program the best amongst all) and finally Python is my
> hobby. :)

Have you looked at Ruby? :)

> I thought Java was unique. But maybe it just *re-coined* objects.

There's a long history of programming languages before Java. I can't
think of anything in Java which is original. That is its virtue, and
its weakness.

There's nothing hard about Smalltalk itself, but you're probably
finding it harder since the programmers writing the code you're
looking at are throwing around design patterns and other concepts
that are not directly represented by the language. That means you're
looking at code that is stuck together a certain way, shapes that are
recognisable by eye but only if you know what you're looking at.

Java (and many other languages) has been crippled so that arbitrary
constructs are less possible, and more of the logic has to be
directly expressed in the pre-provided language features. This is in
aid of greater consistency across the code base, so that programmers
can move from one area to another and still be able to read the code.

The downside is that powerful language constructs are mathematical
relationships arbitrarily pulled out of a grab bag by the language
designer. They choose the best combination for their problems, and
design a language... then hope that every other problem in the wide
range of reality will also be solveable with the same tools. It's
not, so every system needs a way of breaking out of the rules.

There are classes of programming languages where there are very few
rules, and you can build your own structures. Lisp, Smalltalk, Forth.
Then there are others that emphasise approaches, making the chosen
few paradigms quicker and easier. That's why Python is entirely the
wrong language for Daryl, but he _likes_ that agonised squeal as he
inflicts his twisted mind on innocent interpreters implementing
languages specifically designed to get rid of people like Daryl.

   steve at adam.com.au