[sapug] Question regarding Python software license

stephen white steve at adam.com.au
Fri Oct 6 09:07:47 CEST 2006

On 06/10/2006, at 10:02 AM, Chris Foote wrote:
> IMHO, procedural and data abstraction are as least as important.

That was invented back then too... I can't think of anything that
exists now that wasn't invented back then in some form. Even object
orientation is only a form of lambda calculus (ala Alonzo Church).

The important factor is that programming languages are a crude
approximation of mathematical algorithms that have exsted for
hundreds of years. We exist in a ghetto of implementation while
mathematicans continue thinking about ideals.

I think that programming has the chance to move beyond mathematics,
but it's going to take some very radical changes to how things are
done. There's no incremental way out of this Turing Tar Pit. :)

About the most that has been done in the last 50 years is to design
new syntax to make some approaches easier, and to write lots of
libraries for bugs to hide in!

   steve at adam.com.au