[sapug] twisted.mail versus imaplib

John Steele Scott toojays at toojays.net
Tue Aug 7 11:13:06 CEST 2007

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 06:38:01 +0930, Daryl Tester wrote:
> <mode advocate="devil">
> Putting on my "business" hat (if this is a work application), what's
> that clunky about the imaplib interface that would require you to
> spend a significant amount of time learning an entirely new framework?
> </mode>

Fair call.

It's been it while since I last used imaplib, but what's clunky is its
abstraction, or lack thereof. For some operations, it just returns the
reply from the server, as a list of strings, and it is not documented what
the list means (i.e. how the server reply has been split). I can use it to
do what I want, but it doesn't leave me feeling confident that it won't
break depending on the phase of the moon (or, more likely, if I use a
different IMAP server).

What I was hoping for was that someone would tell me that twisted.imap is
a joy to work with, rock solid, and worth the effort. Or that it's not.

cheers,

John