[sapug] competition idea

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Wed Mar 7 13:44:16 CET 2007

Janet,
  This is a great idea, and I think python is a good first language to learn
  too. I usually find that people get motivated most by projects that are
  practical and produce results quickly. I dont personally like things that are
  too competitive - some people would always be able to invest more time than
  me.

  Maybe a web based project would be good - its easy to get somewhere quickly
  and the possibilities are truely endless. Maybe use python or php (python
  is obviously better - but mod_php is easier to set up than mod_python).
  mod_python has a parsed python handler which you can use to embed python code
  in html kind of like php. Unfortunately this (like php in general) encourages
  sloppy coding (tying up code with presentation) but its easier for people to
  get started in.

  I think prizes should be awarded for creativity as well - so web design
  should be nice because people can really get stuck into the graphic design
  side of it as well. Maybe a bit of lobbying can get sponsor companies to help
  award more prizes - maybe web design firms could use some of the winning
  entries / award vacation employment etc.

  Otherwise maybe wxpython/pygtk/pyqt for some gui stuff (i dont normally work
  with GUIs so i have no idea which would be simpler to get going).

  Michael.