[sapug] competition idea

stephen white steve at adam.com.au
Thu Mar 8 04:31:10 CET 2007

On 07/03/2007, at 9:52 PM, Janet Hawtin wrote:
> There is an idea to have a competition to encourage girls to get into
> programming and IT. It has been suggested that using python for a
> competition in schools might be a good way to do this.

I don't think Python is a good choice since it's mainly text, and has
very little in the way of graphics and sound without some complicated
libraries. I would have suggested Flash and ActionScript, except
that's also far too complicated for confidence boosting results.

Ironically, even Objective C with embedded Smalltalk and Cocoa is
much simpler than either of the above two, even though I also
wouldn't recommend this option as it's too complicated as well. It
starts easy but extending crosses too many different domains.

Something like this combination of Scheme and Cocoa would be great,
except I doubt that you have Macs:

	http://impromptu.moso.com.au/

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything I would suggest for Windows
or Linux as those environments suck major shit for multimedia, sinc
you have to jump in the deep end for any results. The simplest
environment is ironically just C and OpenGL plus a bit of GLUT.

I think you've got a snowball's chance in hell of attracting interest
in IT and programming without a decent setup, so you should throw
your PCs away (and delete Python while you're at it!).

   steve at adam.com.au