[sapug] Plethora of jobs on SEEK for Python programmers in Adelaide.

Daryl Tester dt-sapug at handcraftedcomputers.com.au
Fri Mar 7 05:13:21 CET 2008

Chris Foote wrote:

>> Well, by plethora I mean 5.  And 3 of them seem to be the same job.

> Yep, that's a huge amount, not :-)

Yeah, I posted this because it's more than normally gets posted for
Adelaide (which is typically zip).

> I thought it might be interesting to see the proportions for different
> languages in different cities for Seek IT Job listings:

Automated query, or did you just punch in these keywords and write down
the results?

> |-------------+----------+-------+-----------+--------|
> | Search Term | Adelaide | Perth | Melbourne | Sydney |
> |-------------+----------+-------+-----------+--------|
> | Ruby        |        2 |     1 |        27 |     58 |
> | Perl        |        4 |    19 |       157 |    312 |

What?  No Smalltalk or Lisp?  (I saw a few Smalltalk ads recently
interstate, but they look like they were bridges into other languages).
I tried searching for Scheme recently, but far too many hits for
non-related terms.  :-/

> Here's a stack of guesses to explore as to why this might be the case:

Where was "enlightened management"?  :-)

> - The popular dynamic languages have an interpreter implementation that
>    doesn't lend itself to hiding proprietary code from prying eyes.

I have written an obfuscator/signing module import mechanism for Python,
but ultimately these things are breakable (I've no delusion about how
easily breakable these schemes are :-).  It was more of an experiment
with Python's import process than anything else.

> I wonder if someone has done a real study on dynamic language
> use for employment.

I have read something along these lines, but I'm stuffed if I can
remember who what or where the paper was (not so much employment
but definitely use of higher level languages in business).

--
Regards,
  Daryl Tester

"There is no 'I' in team, but there are 6 I's in 'Dissociative Identity
 Disorder'"