[sapug] Plethora of jobs on SEEK for Python programmers in Adelaide.

Daryl Tester dt-sapug at handcraftedcomputers.com.au
Fri Mar 7 05:13:21 CET 2008

Chris Foote wrote:

>> Well, by plethora I mean 5.  And 3 of them seem to be the same job.

> Yep, that's a huge amount, not :-)

Yeah, I posted this because it's more than normally gets posted for
Adelaide (which is typically zip).

> I thought it might be interesting to see the proportions for different
> languages in different cities for Seek IT Job listings:

Automated query, or did you just punch in these keywords and write down
the results?

> |-------------+----------+-------+-----------+--------|
> | Search Term | Adelaide | Perth | Melbourne | Sydney |
> |-------------+----------+-------+-----------+--------|
> | Ruby        |        2 |     1 |        27 |     58 |
> | Perl        |        4 |    19 |       157 |    312 |

What?  No Smalltalk or Lisp?  (I saw a few Smalltalk ads recently
interstate, but they look like they were bridges into other languages).
I tried searching for Scheme recently, but far too many hits for
non-related terms.  :-/

> Here's a stack of guesses to explore as to why this might be the case:

Where was "enlightened management"?  :-)

> - The popular dynamic languages have an interpreter implementation that
>    doesn't lend itself to hiding proprietary code from prying eyes.

I have written an obfuscator/signing module import mechanism for Python,
but ultimately these things are breakable (I've no delusion about how
easily breakable these schemes are :-).  It was more of an experiment
with Python's import process than anything else.

> I wonder if someone has done a real study on dynamic language
> use for employment.

I have read something along these lines, but I'm stuffed if I can
remember who what or where the paper was (not so much employment
but definitely use of higher level languages in business).

  Daryl Tester

"There is no 'I' in team, but there are 6 I's in 'Dissociative Identity