Pending release of 0.3

SirVer sirver at gmx.de
Thu Nov 5 09:16:21 EST 2009

Hi,

On 4 Nov., 15:04, Stéfan van der Walt <ste... at sun.ac.za> wrote:
> 2009/11/4 SirVer <sir... at gmx.de>:
>
> > Stefan, concerning my GUI branch:
> > I played around with pyqt and QImages and they just couldn't deliver
> > what I needed: Speed.
>
> I'd like to see some benchmarks that support this, because it should
> be the cost of 2 python calls + whatever time the GUI uses.  QImage is
> fast when loading directly from a numpy array.  I'm not sure, with the
> copying that you have to do into a texture, that OpenGL can do any
> better.
I did some benchmarks, but unfortunately I do not have the code
around. I created QImages and painted them directly in PyQt. It was
reasonable fast, but I couldn't reach the performance I have with a
QGLWidget which delivers easily 300fps or 60fps in 12 different
windows. I'd rather not hack this again since this issue is somewhat
settled for me and I'd prefer spending my coding time on other itches
I have.

I still think that PyQt is a much bigger dependency then PyOpenGL -
and even so: both are optional and only needed when GUI stuff in real
time should be performed.

Cheers,
Holger