Pending release of 0.3

Chris Colbert sccolbert at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 09:54:22 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 3:44 PM, SirVer <sirver at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 5 Nov., 15:27, Chris Colbert <sccolb... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 3:16 PM, SirVer <sir... at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,

>> > I did some benchmarks, but unfortunately I do not have the code
>> > around. I created QImages and painted them directly in PyQt. It was
>> > reasonable fast, but I couldn't reach the performance I have with a
>> > QGLWidget which delivers easily 300fps or 60fps in 12 different
>> > windows. I'd rather not hack this again since this issue is somewhat
>> > settled for me and I'd prefer spending my coding time on other itches
>> > I have.
>>
>> > I still think that PyQt is a much bigger dependency then PyOpenGL -
>> > and even so: both are optional and only needed when GUI stuff in real
>> > time should be performed.
>>
>> I think you're not really grasping the idea of "plugin"
> Well, I understood the principle of plugin quite well; BUT the plugin
> architecture does not allow real time display of images right now. It
> won't be possible to implement it that way.
> AND there are users who will need this and might need it in image
> processing tasks. The question here is just if and if yes how to
> implement this.

I meant that you make the claim that QT is a heavy dependency, when in
fact its not a dependency at all unless the individual wants to use
the qt plugins.
The scikit, and all it's image process, still function without having
QT installed.

Further, these imshow() type widgets are primarily meant to be used
from the interactive interpreter, an environment not best suited for
real time image acquisition and display. that said, the plugin
archiceture can most certainly be used in the method you speak of. You
just simply have your imshow() function return the window object, and
implement an update() or similar method that the consumer can call to
update the image.