What kind of language limitations (if any) do we want to place on implementations??

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Sat Oct 3 19:54:49 EDT 2009

2009/10/4 Chris Colbert <sccolbert at gmail.com>:
> Personally, I do most performance related stuff with Cython, so are we
> ok to require Cython as a build dependency? Or would we rather limit
> things to python and the C api only?

Like Damian mentioned, we had a discussion on this at the sprint and
decided that Cython is a good way to go for optimising extensions.  I
am a bit allergic to C++ (especially given the compiler mess it has
caused in SciPy), so unless we have a very good reason I'd prefer to
stick to C.

I'd be very glad if someone could provide a robust setup.py file to
automatically build Cython extensions!  Setuptools and Cython don't
play all that nicely together, and setuptools changed its output
directories for .so files during in-place builds when using Python
2.6.  Since I'm on the topic of build systems: we may just as well put
the infrastructure in place now to build with scons + numscons, David
Cournapeau's new build system for NumPy and SciPy.

Cheers