OpenImageIO

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 9 07:19:23 EDT 2009

2009/10/9 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>

> Hey Ralph
>
> 2009/10/9 Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>:
> >> where all PNGs are access only as necessary, and are cached once
> >> they've been read from disk.  You can also index into or iterate over
> >> an ImageCollection (yielding the image arrays).  It sounds like a
> >> multi-image could be interpreted as an ImageCollection.
> >
> > That sounds like a good option. Let me know if you want me to test it /
> work
> > on it / send you some multi-image files.
>
> I'd appreciate it if you could investigate a bit further.  The code I
> was referring to is at
>

> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~stefanv/supreme/main/annotate/head%3A/supreme/misc/io.py<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Estefanv/supreme/main/annotate/head%3A/supreme/misc/io.py>
>
> As you can see, it is very simplistic.  It also returns a bunch of
> Image objects, that we don't need.  But the basic idea is there: a
> container over which you can iterate, that loads images on demand and
> keeps a cache as necessary.  I've never played with loading of
> multi-layer images, so I hope you can get something going.

Sure, I'll give it a go. I cloned your scikits.image repo on github, will
add a new branch and push to my cloned repo once it works. That is best way
to do it right?

Another git question, for scipy I followed this guide:
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/GitMirror. Now I have it here:
http://github.com/rgommers/scipy. Would it not be better to clone another
scipy repo already on github, like David's or Pauli's? Or does it not
matter?

Cheers,
Ralf